With one foot still in carpentryÂ weâ€™re going to take a half-step towards the next art for this next project before fully immersing ourselves in
37 House Furnishings and Decorations
When we entertain itâ€™s important that all of our guests have a spotâ€”be it to stand or sit really depends on what type of gathering youâ€™re having. As most of our get-togethers involve a meal or playing games (not of the sporty type), having seats for everyone becomes kind of important to the size of our gathering.
Iâ€™ve rented chairs for big parties, and happily do so since the cost is low and it saves us having to store them. We have a couple of folding chairs in the garage that we can bring out for the occasional extra keister or two, but they donâ€™t sit as high as the rest of the dining room chairs, so itâ€™s not the best solution for large family dinners.
Ergo, itâ€™s time to make over my $3 chair.
I bought this chair from a little antique shop thatâ€™s no longer in business and, yes, paid a whopping $3 for it. The original plan was to clean it up (it still had a seat then) and use it as a spare chair in my sparsely furnished apartment. That didnâ€™t happen, so itâ€™s spent itâ€™s life in multiple garages and storage rooms until the seatâ€™s rotted out and itâ€™s collected more cobwebs than I really want to think about.
So when I started stripping the antique school desk to refinish it, I figured Iâ€™d kill two birds with one stone, and save myself some grief.
Well, thatâ€™s not exactly how things worked.
The first round of stripping and sanding barely made a dent in the paint and varnish combo on the chair, so then next weekend I tried again with a heavier stripping pad and even a scraper. I still only got partway through the finish and, by that point, I was so very over this process.
And I reminded myself it was only a $3 chair.
New plan! Screw the refinishing, letâ€™s just paint the sucker. I started out with 2 coats of matte-finish spray paint in a dark brown as an undercoat.
Thatâ€™s where things are right now, since the weather isnâ€™t exactly cooperatingâ€”itâ€™s been either too cold or too wet to get any more painting done, plus I need Todd to cut a new seat for the chair and fashion new braces for the legs.
(The brace being the cross-piece between the front and back legs. One was missing when I bought the chair, and we were unable to find any turned braced the right size or length to match, so weâ€™re going to sub in a round dowel rod with the ends cut to fit the existing holes, and go from there.)
Once the new seat and braces are cut, the entire chair will get a coat of a light blue paint and then Iâ€™ll distress the edges so that the brown underlayer shows through a bit (like this project from Crane Farms, but not quite as distressed). I thought about using a crackle medium, but didnâ€™t want something quite so shabby chique as all that. Instead Iâ€™ll go for simple distressing for a nice aged look.
Then Iâ€™ll seal it to prevent more paint than I want from coming loose.
Iâ€™ve also picked up some thick foam to cushion the seat with. Iâ€™ll cut it to the needed size and shape, bevel the top edges so itâ€™ll look prettier, and then cover the seat with some plush, dark-brown microsuede (Iâ€™ve got an entire bolt of the stuff from another project that went nowhere).
Theoretically this chair will match the triptych I painted for the living room (of our last house) that now hangs above our television. The chair probably wonâ€™t live in our current living room, but at least itâ€™ll look nice when we bring it out for guests (though I keep starting at a particular corner wondering if I could make it fit with the desk.
Obviously Iâ€™m not done with this project, but I want to stay on track with the blog schedule I laid down for myself, so next week weâ€™ll be talking about another facet of home decorating. Once the chair project is done Iâ€™ll post that update on the nearest Thursday.